Yellow Rose

Walking in faith while I battle ALS.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Beep


Beep...Beep...Beep in my head and I was dreaming what is this noise. I woke up and realized Dang..the smoke alarm is beeping, the battery must be gone and it is in the middle of the night. Now we have 12 foot ceilings and it isn't going to be easy to fix this. My husband wants to ignore it but he can sleep through anything, my older son wakes up with the sound and proceeds to get the tallest ladder out of the garage and puts a new battery in and the beeping stops. Ever wonder why do these smoke alarm batteries go off in the night?. In all of the years having homes with these type of alarms that are attached to the wiring in the house, when the battery goes dead , it is in the middle of the night and you hear beep.. beep.. which is so loud in the stillness of the night. I remember a couple of years ago, before I was stricken with ALS, I was alone in our home and my husband was away on business. Beep...Beep... in the middle of the night, 2:00 a.m. precisely, and I found it was the alarm in the highest part of the house in the kitchen entry. It was so loud and I knew I wasn't going to sleep until I fixed it. We had no ladder at the time to reach it so I am in my PJ's hanging over the top of the kitchen cabinet trying to get the cover off to replace the battery. After some scary moments and good balancing I fixed it and afterward I thought , I could have fallen and hurt myself and no one would have known until hours later. So when my husband got home he changed all the batteries because if one goes they all start to go at the same time. I guess this is why we are suppose to check the batteries on daylight savings time. Otherwise in the middle of the night we will hear beep....beep...beep.......

3 Comments:

  • At 7:27 AM, Blogger Tammy Brierly said…

    I need to go change my battery because that would drive me nuts :)

    HUGS

     
  • At 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We always change them out when the time changes, both for safety and to avoid the beep...beep...beep ;-)

     
  • At 4:19 PM, Blogger betty said…

    that is so true, isn't it? I never thought about it before but they do go off in the middle of the night more often than not. I better see about changing our batteries since we moved into this house two months ago and not sure when they were last changed

     

Post a Comment

<< Home