Yellow Rose

Walking in faith while I battle ALS.

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Be thankful for each day!


It has been 2 years ago this week I found out that I have ALS. When I found out I was in Houston, Tx Medical Center scheduled for surgery on the 22nd of September for peripheral nerve palsy. This was a diagnosis because of me dragging my right foot. I was going to have a very famous surgeon do a procedure to repair the nerve. The day before surgery I had all of the pre-ob appts. such as EKG, blood work etc. After a full morning of tests my husband and I had a break for a nice lunch and then one more appt. for a EMG to find where the nerve was damaged. This was my last appt. at 2:00 and then to the Drs office for the final review before surgery.. I had no idea that the Dr appt would turn my world upside down forever. When the Dr. came in to talk with me he wouldn't look at me and he looked upset. He told me that he had been on the phone with Drs all afternoon regarding my EMG results and that it showed I have ALS and he could not do surgery. I felt this is a joke right? I started to cry and felt I was in a dream. I had only heard of ALS these last few months and knew it was a fatal disease.

When I received this diagnosis, 2 years ago, I was only tripping on my right foot and still an independent working Mom and Grandmother. It has been the roughest 2 years of my life. Now I am in a wheelchair full time, can barely talk or eat. I cannot use my right hand anymore, cannot drive a car,write my name, move myself in bed, bath, and the lists goes on and on. Each loss is devastating. I can still use a computer with one weak left hand. I am thankful that I have had 2 years more of my life to watch my Grandchildren grow, to be able to see Alaska again and I can still see a Sunrise and Sunset. I am forever hopeful that there one day will be a cure for his devastating disease. Be thankful for every day.

This was quote was in my email from my daughter.
In the confrontation between the river and the rock, the river always wins, not through strength, but by perserverance... Never give up!
- Anonymous

3 Comments:

  • At 5:57 PM, Blogger turquoise cro said…

    I am sorry for all that you have been thru Helen! You and Tammy are very gracious and inspiring women who remind us to be thankful for what we do have! I cannot imagine not walking, talking or eating! I am very thankful for my health and sometimes do take it for granted! That is very good advice! Never give up! Love and prayers, XO

     
  • At 6:35 PM, Blogger Tammy Brierly said…

    What a devastating time of your life but you are still here and not giving up. You are my inspiration and friend!

    Loved the quote!

     
  • At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I cannot imagine loosing so much that is taken for granted. I too am thankful for my health. Thank you for your honesty and your internal strength.
    Clare

     

Post a Comment

<< Home